Saturday, October 4, 2008

Figured Out

Ok now ladies and gents. I am not sure if this post is going to be a rant or a rave. Lets reserve that opinion for later.

Here is the story. Our son Ben was at my office this week saving us from our computers when we started talking about high definition TV. Both of us have them but Ben has cable HD and I have non HD satellite. Of course he was going on and on telling me how good HD was knowing full well that his talk was going to drive me to get HD.

As he KNEW it would, I did.

I called my provider and said I wanted HD but did not want to pay extra for it. After they quit laughing, they told me it would cost an extra $10 per month on top of what I think is an already inflated cost for what I have.

So I called the competition and said I wanted at least 200 channels. I like lots of channels so that it takes me longer to discover that there is nothing on that I like. Anyway....I said I wanted HD plus the TV stations in Minneapolis-ST. Paul that carried all the major networks.

No problem they said. They gave me a price and I said it was too high. I told them what I wanted to pay and after some hem-hawing around they agreed. We set up the installation date and time and all was well...so I thought.

I got thinking about the deal and called them the next morning and asked them to read back to me all the details of the package and extras. Low and behold, they did not mention the networks from the Twin Cities. I asked about that and they said "you can't get those, they are not available in your area."

That was not the right thing to say....I told them to cancel my order and I called my current provider knowing that the Twin Cities channels were available. I said I wanted to cancel because their competition offered me a better price. That is the truth, as they did cut me a heck of a deal.

Well, they caved in and were falling all over themselves trying to make me happy.

Out of the deal they gave me 250 channels, High Definition, a DVR, free service plan and two receivers for less than I am paying now...VICTORY!

So there Ben.....are you happy now?

Rant or rave? Lets just call it even.

Tune in again soon for another edition of "Now What Are They Doing?"

1 comment:

Ben Meyer said...

Woo, high definition, DVR, service plan? Buzzword overkill! Welcome!