Sunday, February 15, 2009

I Should Have Known

OK, lets continue the previous story about my most recent trip on US Airways.
When I last wrote, we were on the plane in Minneapolis, MN trying to get organized so we could take off for Phoenix.
About 25% of the passengers had five sets of clothing on so they would not have to pay the $15.00 fee for checking a bag. These "Michelin" people were all struggling in the isle trying to shed their wardrobe so they could fit into the tiny seats. Tempers were getting short as a few elbows and arms whacked others trying to disrobe in the confined quarters.

Once the people had their armload of clothing off they were trying to stuff the garments into the already packed overhead compartments.
That really threw the flight attendants into a tizzy as none of the doors would close.
So now people started putting the clothes back on and tried to get small so they could pour themselves into their seats. You get the picture.

By this point we were almost a half hour late taking off and the plane still needed to be de-iced.

By the time that was done, we were almost 40 minutes late taking off. Not to worry, so I thought, I have an hour and a half after landing to catch my next plane to San Jose.

Once the plane was in the air, the trip was rather un-eventful except for those who had enough cloths on to withstand a winter in Barrow Alaska.

About an hour and a half into the flight the pilot came on the speakers and said that we should be on time even with the delay. Something changed and a short time later he said that we were fighting headwinds and there would be a delay. Soon after that the pilot came back on and said the Phoenix airport was very busy and we had to slow down.

Slow down? Hell, the swallows from Capistrano were passing us up at this point!

To make a long story short, we finally landed an hour late. I thought to myself, I have a half hour till my next plane takes off...I can do this.

Wrong again Bob! Now these people who felt it necessary to take their wardrobe with them had to rummage around the overhead bins and under their seats to find their clothing. It looked like a rummage sale with a special stuff a bag for a dime sale going on.

From 22 rows back I could see that people were exiting the plane like turtles.

After knocking down a few women and children, I made it to my gate and was told that I missed my plane by two minutes. But don't worry "you might be able to get on the next one".

I went to customer service and learned that the next flight was also over sold and that I would be put on standby.

I did get on the next flight and went through the entire process again of people stuffing their extra cloths into every available cubby.

One we lifted off I was ready for something to drink. Of course, nothing but frustration is free on US Air. Coffee was one dollar, a can of pop was two dollars and a beer was $7.00! At that rate, a case of beer would cost well over $160.00. I would rather die of thirst before giving in to that kind of air piracy.

I finally arrived in San Jose three and a half hours late. I went to the baggage claim area and waited for my suite bag to come tumbling down the chute...but it never did.

After everyone left, baggage in hand, there I stood. I knew I should have taken some of the leftover clothes from the overhead bins on the plane.

Out of the shadows came an official from the airline asking if he could help me with something. I squeaked out a pathetic yes and explained in detail the trials and tribulations I had just experienced the past ten hours.

All I wanted was my bag. He took my arm and guided me towards this room with a locked door. After unlocking the door he turned on the light and there it was.....my bag! It had made the transfer in Phoenix and had come in on my original flight.

I took the shuttle to my hotel and checked in then went to the bar for a beer or three at a much better price that the $7.00 ones on the plane. The hotel beers were only $6.00 each!

Tune in again soon for another edition of "Now What Are They Doing?"

2 comments:

Gypsy said...

I just HATE to pay that much for a beer, so I usually try to find a 7-11 and buy a six pack!

I quit flying years ago because of the hassles and terrible customer service. Your post convinced me that I'm totally correct.

Ben Meyer said...

US Airways: "We're not happy until you're not happy."