Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I Did Not Want To Die With The Dirty Sheets

I had better explain the headline to this story....but first a little background.

As I write this, I am in Morton, Minnesota attending a business meeting with the other Executive Directors and CEO's from the state of Minnesota. Our meetings were over for the day and we were all preparing to meet for supper when the tornado sirens started their melodious whining.

We were all herded into the basement of the motel we were staying at and told that we could not come back upstairs until the all clear signal was given.

Jan, thanks for taking the pictures for me!






The staff was great and kept us updated on the progress of the storm.

I did have a fleeting thought about being done in by the twister and someone finding our remains tangled in the dirty sheets from the adjacent laundry room. Personal preference would be that I would meet my match with just a bit more class.

After an hour plus, we were given the all clear signal to vacate the basement and return to civilization. When we emerged from the depths of the basement like sewer creatures, we kissed the ground and started answering cell phone messages as we obviously had no cell service in "the hole" as we affectionately now call it.

We work for a disaster response agency and some of the callers left some interesting messages. "When you turn your phone back on, give me a call" or "You must have left your phone somewhere because you are not answering."

Little did they know that they were about ready to issue us our last rights. :)

That is all for now...Tune in again soon for another edition of "Now What Are They Doing?"

No comments: