Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Fine Taste Of Wine


OK....I confess. I am the proud holder of a wine course certificate issued to me more than 35 years ago. In high school I worked at a very high end restaurant and bar complex. Part of our training involved enrolling in a wine course so we could help our customers select the proper wine. Well, I passed the course somehow and did not learn a thing.
Our son Ben is a wine expert. He talks about his wine experimenting occasionally in his blog that is linked to your right.
I can remember a few years ago when Sue and I, my folks and Ben and Anna went to the Morgan Creek Vineyard and Winery. It was a great time!
We sat down and listened to the experts talk about the types of wines as we tasted them. I can still hear Ben and the winery people..." Oh yes, this has a slight nutty taste and if you purse your lips and inhale, you can detect a slight hint of maple bark."
Now what the hell is that all about? I could taste none of that all. The only thing I could add to the tasting session was " Um..this is good" or " Man this is REALLY good".
By this time the others were detecting the slight hints of turkey feathers in their wine. My favorite was....mmmmmm I detect a slight hint of banana peel and leather.
That was enough for me. By that time I was half sloshed on the samples and was in the process of purchasing a case of wine so I could practice the finer points of wine consumption.
So, how am I dong on that training? MMMM, this wine is really good!

No comments: