Monday, December 15, 2008

Let The Show Begin

OK, we have dragged our feet long enough! we have talked about remodeling our three bathrooms for several years now. In fact we even partially started tearing all three apart at the same time thinking that would inspire us to accomplish great things. NOT!
We dug into the main floor bath Sunday and were able to get the old sinks out without injuries.



Once the plumbing was unhooked and the sinks pulled we put down some plywood over the old surface so we could have a clean slate for mounting the porcelain tile and sinks.

I knew the project was going way too smoothly. The rounded tiles went on the edge will no problem. Then it came time for the tile on the counter top. We had to cut the tile so that the sinks could drop right in.
I figured, no problem, I have every power tool known to mankind.
I had purchased several blades for one of our saws designed to cut tile. HA! The blade did not even tickle the tile, let alone slice through it like a hot knife through butter. OK, in typical man style I broke out the air compressor and an air driven cut off tool. Oh yea baby....this ought to really glide through this tile stuff.
I donned my safety glasses and let her rip. Once the smoke cleared I noticed that it did not even nick the material.
What the hell is this stuff made out of anyway? I must have picked the wrong type of tile as I am sure this was designed to withstand nuclear attack.
After trying a dozen other took, manual and power, we decided that professional help is required.
Eight pieces need the rounded cutting so I will call a professional and see if they will cut them. I hope they will, but I equate that to taking your own eggs to a restaurant and asking them to cook them for you.
The straight cuts were a snap. Etch and snap....done.
The project will really look good when complete. I am happy to know that if we come under attack, the tile will survive the very latest weaponry.
Tune in again soon for another edition of "Now What Are They Doing?"

1 comment:

Ben Meyer said...

I saw an episode of Mythbusters on the Discovery Channel where they tested homebrew bullet-proof materials. They stacked together just a few ceramic tiles and epoxied them together, and it was enough to stop some pretty serious caliber bullets.