Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Roughing It This Weekend

This past Sunday we worked on summerizing the camper for another season. Since we purchased it late last fall, we have only been on two outings so we are still adding our own touches to make it our own.

We made up the queen bed in the bedroom and stocked the kitchen and bathroom. Of course we changed out the curtains with ones that Sue made. I must say that she did a real good job and they look beautiful.

One really has to be careful about stocking an RV. Before you know it, you have everything under the sun loaded on board. You never know when you may need three waffle irons!




Back to roughing it. All systems check out...radio, CD player, TVs, oven, stove, fridge, freezer, air conditioner, furnace, toilet, shower....But....I can't get the water heater to work. It fires up and runs for 3-4 minutes then shuts down and won't re-light for another hour or so.

Looks like cold showers this weekend until I figure it out. I just know that you feel sorry for us.

Stop back soon for another edition of "Now What Are They doing?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bob lucky you to have this trailer. I remember when I had mine and it was time to open it up in the spring. The flushing of antifreeze out of the lines, turning on the refrig, the water heater and firing up the furnance and AC to a test run.

When we first got our trailer we stocked it up with all of our "old" stuff. All the old dishes, pot and pans and silverware. Old towels and blankets. It seemed like a travel trailer was a perfect place for putting all that "old" stuff you just couldn't throw away.

Your water heater problem has me stumped. Typically every fall I seal off the outside of the water heater by putting a sheet of plastic around the door to seal out mice and spiders from nesting inside. But then every spring I check to see if spiders have nested in the orifice of the pilot tube. If the main burner runs and then shuts down it could be that the pilot tube is not staying lit. Perhaps it has an obstruction in it like a spider web or nest.

Well I envy you heading out for your first camping trip. I would love to take Diane on such a trip. We have been looking at used Class C motorhome as a precursor to our eventually getting a big motorhome to travel after retirement. We found one the other day that we were not prepared for. It had everyting we wanted, low mileage and priced reasonably. My wife and the salesmen were doing a number on me and I had to remind my wife we were only window-shopping. next year (2009) I will be in a position financially to buy a small unit like Scott has.

I've been reading Ben's blog also and I find it endearing.

Your blogging monitor.....alepel