Saturday, August 14, 2010

Hummers Everywhere!

This Spring we hung out a few Hummingbird feeders off the back deck and screened porch. Of course, one thing lead to another and we ended up with eight feeders. At times, we have up to 20 hummingbirds fighting over the feeders.
Sue caught a few of these little buggers on film (digital) the other day through the window.
Feel free to click on the pictures for a larger image.





Those little hummers are eating us out of house and home. They go through about 10 cups of feed every day. It is well worth the small expense of two cups of sugar and eight cups of water.

4 comments:

Gypsy said...

Do you get many varieties of hummers in Minnesota? I loved the ruby throated ones I had in NC, but here all I get is a very drab looking bird. I love watching them though, and it's worth feeding them.

Happytrails said...

We had tons coming to our feeders while we were at FDR State Park. We were making our sugar water every other day it seemed. I don't think we had a great variety but they sure were fun to watch.

Now that we have moved....we sure do miss them.
I hope you all enjoy the little guys cause they sure seem to enjoy you all. :-)

Mike & Gerri (happytrails)
http://freedom2roll.blogspot.com

pidge said...

Nice pictures. I haven't seen one hummer since we got to Wyoming. I think we are too far away from water.

Unknown said...

Have you ever tried the hand held hummingbird feeders? They don't hold a lot of nectar, but it's fun to have the hummies eating out of your hand :) -Wish we had as many birds coming to our feeders as you do! I can go about three days before a refill! Lucky you!! :)